Thursday, January 7, 2016

the Hood project: Mary Alisa

Mary Alisa - How fun would it be to be in the business of raising 3 little ladies?
                     She's someone I absolutely love!
                     She always has kind words to say. I don't think I've ever heard her say anything mean.
                     She really helps her girls bring out their individual talents and personalities.
                     I was glad that she let me interview her.  I think she's gorgeous!




...their dog "Jake" (from State Farm) lol.



What are some time-saving beauty tips or things that you do that are helpful?
Sunscreen and accepting my bush.






What are your greatest desires for your kids?
To be kind, honest, human beings.  To be happy, confident, and genuine.  To know and love our Heavenly Father and his gospel.



This was an art piece done by her father (He was one of my art professors years ago). He is an amazing artist and has done murals all over the Pacific Islands.



What's the hardest part about being a mom?
For me, a single mom who shares custody, the hardest part about being a mom is not being able to be with my kids as much as I want to. For another mom, it might be not being able to get a moment alone to herself.  We have different struggles, but I love that we can all support and root for one another in our unique journeys. There are so many wonderful mothers in my life who I love, respect, and try to emulate.









How has your personal style evolved throughout the years?
Hmm... I wore maternity clothes for like, 5 years straight and now I do everything in my active wear.



...I love their home.  Their own artwork hangs everywhere, maybe framed or with a magnet to the fridge.  They can sit and explain to you about each of their pieces.


...and then we went to my favorite hill that was close to their home.



What's the most treasured piece of advice that you ever received?
I'll share one of my favorite quotes.
"Be believing, be happy, don't get discouraged.  Things will work out."
-President Gordon B. Hinckley






What's the biggest surprise of being a mom?
Sounds corny. I've always wanted to be one, but I didn't realize just how much I'd cherish it. I LOVE being a mom.





What are some of your favorite things that make you happy and get you through the day?
Diet Coke and Hulu



Any crazy birth stories?
Kina's birth included an ambulance ride to the hospital in Provo, a life flight to the hospital in Salt Lake City and over 24 hours of labor.  As soon as she was born (premature 4lbs), she was taken to the NICU at Primary Children's Hospital where she stayed over a month to treat her gastroschisis or hole in the abdomen.  She was a week and a half old when I got to hold her for the first time.  It was SO scary at the time... but now the only evidence I have that it happened is her lack of a belly button:) (Kina is the one in the middle).



What are your favorite things to do together as a family?  
We do a lot of fun things in and out of the home, but honestly some of my favorite moments (mine, probably not the kids, haha) is when we're working together.  Every Fall, we rake and bag about 40 bags of leaves from the big trees in our yard.  During the hours it takes us, I often pause to just look at them while their busy with the exhausting task at hand and my heart is full of pride and humility at their dedication and service to our family.




2 comments:

Andrea said...

I knew Mary very briefly 17 years ago when my family moved to Hawaii. She has always been so kind, any time we've crossed paths. You can tell what a wonderful mom she is just by the smiles on her girl's faces!

Unknown said...

Thank you for capturing everything about this amazingly beautiful woman! Love you Mary 😙